Hunger Intervention program (HIP) is looking for an AmeriCorps VISTA member who will be our Food Security Awareness Champion. Please share this with anyone who might be interested in this role. This is a great opportunity to champion the cause of food security in the north-end of Seattle, especially reaching out to underserved populations. This is a full time (40 hours/week) position for one year starting end of February 2017.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead outreach activities for all of HIP’s meal programs, specifically focusing on reaching out to underserved communities
- Use various social media channels effectively to reach out to more teens and underserved communities
- Do outreach and coordinate youth activities for HIP’s Summer Meals program to increase participation
- Coordinate HIP’s community engagement programs with other community organizations
- Organize outreach and awareness events
- Coordinate group volunteering activities
- Lead the adoption of the new volunteer tracking and coordination system
- Connect with HIP program participants to collect stories and contribute to HIP’s newsletters and blogs
- Excellent oral and written skills and ease in talking to the public.
- Proficient with using computers and comfortable using Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher, online blogs, and basic website skills
- Experience in collecting and recording program data
- Passion for working with people from diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds
- Passion for food and food justice issues
- Demonstrated ability to serve independently and as a team member
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Flexible, resourceful, and adaptable to unexpected situations.
- Detail oriented, and able to successfully multi-task
- Fluency in Spanish and/or other languages a plus
- Current Washington State driver’s license and a clean driving record
VISTA Program Eligibility
- Be at least 18 years old upon entering VISTA training. There is no upper age limit.
- Be U.S. citizens or have permanent resident status.
- Not be listed in the National Sex Offender Registry database as having been convicted of sex-related crimes.
- Be willing to submit fingerprints for a criminal history background check. AmeriCorps assesses criminal history on a case-by-case basis when determining applicant eligibility.
- Be in a position to offer full-time service for one year without regard to regular working hours.
- Be able to exhibit previous education, training, military, or work experience, and any other relevant skills or interests necessary to perform a specific VISTA assignment. VISTA requires applicants to have a high school diploma/equivalent or be working toward completing one during the service year.
- Be willing, to the maximum extent practicable, to live among and at the economic level of the low-income people served by VISTA projects.
- Understand that VISTAs serve on a full-time basis. Therefore, VISTAs cannot enroll in school except in limited circumstances or be subjects of legal proceedings (civil or criminal) that may consume time needed for VISTA assignments. VISTA service cannot be used to satisfy service requirements of parole or probation. VISTAs may have additional employment outside of AmeriCorps but this employment should not interfere with the VISTA project.
Compensation and Benefits
- Living allowance: Approximately $1,222/month (before taxes)
- Health benefits in compliance with the minimum coverage standards of the ACA
- End of Service Award: $5,815 Education Award or $1,500 cash stipend
- Student loan deferment or forbearance
- Childcare assistance
- 10 days of sick leave, 10 days of vacation leave
- Professional work experience
- In-service training resources
- Non-competitive eligibility for Federal jobs
- ORCA LIFT pass at bus 2-zone peak fare and full Link fare levels
How to Apply
Please email your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com. In your cover letter, please explain why you are interested specifically in this position at HIP and your experience with food security issues. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis starting immediately. Please submit application materials as soon as possible for consideration, but no later than December 11th, 2016.