This position has been filled.
An AmeriCorps VISTA position through United Way of King County
Hunger Intervention program (HIP) is looking for an AmeriCorps VISTA member who will be our Community Relations Coordinator. This is a full time (40 hours/week) position for one year starting in March 2019. This is an excellent entry-level opportunity for anyone interested in gaining well-rounded experience in different aspects of nonprofit operations and taking a leadership role to advance food justice in north King County.
HIP’s AmeriCorps members get to work with a great team of folks passionate about ending hunger in a collaborative work place. HIP values diversity in its workforce and has a work culture that supports every individual in their personal and professional growth.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate all communications and marketing activities including social media, email newsletters, and various publications.
- Develop and improve existing marketing materials and platforms.
- Implement strategies to more effectively engage with HIP’s various stakeholders, including donors, volunteers, and program participants.
- Support the formation and execution of a program participant advisory board.
- Improve volunteering experience for all of HIP’s volunteers across different programs.
- Passion for food and food justice issues and commitment to racial equity.
- Excellent oral and written skills and ease in talking to the public.
- Outgoing personality and ability to form personal connections with diverse donors, volunteers, and program participants.
- Passion for working with people from diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds.
- Excellent computer skills – comfortable using Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher, online blogs, and basic website skills.
- Well-organized about collecting and recording data.
- Demonstrated ability to serve independently and as a team member with a diverse set of people.
- Flexible, resourceful, and adaptable to unexpected situations.
- Detail-oriented and able to successfully multi-task.
- Fluency in Spanish and/or other languages a plus but not required.
- Ability to safely lift 50 pounds, reach, bend, stand, or kneel repeatedly and for longer hours.
- Current Washington State driver’s license and a clean driving record preferred. Having own vehicle is helpful but not needed.
VISTA Program Eligibility
- Be at least 18 years old upon entering VISTA training. There is no upper age limit.
- Be U.S. citizens or have permanent resident status. F-1 visas are not sufficient.
- Not be listed in the National Sex Offender Registry database as having been convicted of sex-related crimes.
- Be willing to submit fingerprints for a criminal history background check. AmeriCorps assesses criminal history on a case-by-case basis when determining applicant eligibility.
- Be in a position to offer full-time service for one year without regard to regular working hours.
- Have a high school diploma/equivalent or be working toward completing one during the service year.
- Understand that VISTAs serve on a full-time basis. Therefore, VISTAs cannot enroll in school except in limited circumstances or be subjects of legal proceedings (civil or criminal) that may consume time needed for VISTA assignments. VISTA service cannot be used to satisfy service requirements of parole or probation. VISTAs may have additional employment outside of AmeriCorps but this employment should not interfere with the VISTA project.
Compensation and Benefits
- Living allowance of $1,583.00/month (pretax)
- Loan deferment and payment of interest accrued during service year on qualified student loans (loans must be federally-backed; personal/private loans not eligible)
- Health benefits that meet the minimum standards of ACA compliance
- ORCA LIFT card
- $5,815 Education Award or $1,500 cash stipend upon successful completion
- Childcare assistance
- 10 days sick leave, 10 days personal leave, 9 federal holidays
- Enrollment in an assistance program with 24-hour access to phone counseling
- Noncompetitive eligibility for federal jobs for up to one year after completing service
- Professional work experience
- In-service training, skill-building, and professional development
How to Apply
Please apply online at https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=85385. If you have any questions specifically about this position, please email directly to email@example.com. Feel free to attach your resume and cover letter. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis starting immediately. Please submit application materials as soon as possible for consideration.