Full time (30-40 hours/week), temporary summer position, hourly
About Hunger Intervention Program
Hunger Intervention Program (HIP) is a nonprofit organization based in the Lake City neighborhood of North Seattle. HIP’s mission is to increase food security for underserved populations in North King County through nutritious meals, educational programs, and advocacy. We are looking for someone who is passionate about ending childhood hunger by ensuring kids and teens have access to free meals during the summer.
This individual will work with the Summer Eats Team to ensure nutritious, locally-sourced, diverse, and delicious meals are safely prepared all summer long. This is a kitchen position that includes some menu planning and ordering.
HIP follows all local and federal health and safety regulations with respect to the COVID-19 pandemic. Being a food service provider, an essential service during the pandemic, this is an in-person position that requires interacting with community members. All needed PPEs are provided, and everyone must be fully vaccinated to work.
Key Responsibilities and Duties
• Prepare and serve meals complying with local health and food safety standards.
• Ensure Summer Food Service Program policies and procedures are followed.
• Assist in menu planning and ordering from local farms and other vendors.
• Jump in and help across programs when needed (senior meals, shelter meals, etc.).
• Complete daily cleaning and closing tasks.
• Additional duties as assigned to make HIP Summer Eats program a success.
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
• Experience preparing large scale food quantifies in a professional kitchen is a plus
• Ability to drive work vans and deliver meals is a plus
• Regular, reliable, predictable attendance required
• Attention to detail and a genuine desire to support the meal program
• Ability to work effectively with people from diverse backgrounds including program participants, staff, and volunteers
• Comfortable lifting up to 40 pounds on a regular basis
• Comfortable reaching, bending, standing, and/or kneeling repeatedly
• Ability to work a full shift in a hot, noisy, and busy environment
• Willing to learn and comply with food safety and sanitation rules
• Pass the Washington State Patrol background check (paid for by employer)
• Have or obtain a current Washington State Food Worker Card (paid for by employer)
This is a full time, temporary (summer) position that pays $21.90/hour. Additionally, HIP provides a benefits package that includes:
• Retirement contribution matching
• Paid time off for Juneteenth and Fourth of July
• A free shift meal
How to apply
Please send a paragraph explaining why you are interested in the position to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Summer Meals Cook” in the subject line. If you do not have access to email, call 206-538-6567 and leave a message. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. For priority consideration, please submit your application by May 20th.
HIP is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People of color, queer, gay, lesbian and/or bisexual people, transgender, genderqueer and/or non-binary folks are encouraged to apply. We value employees who are aware of their own cultural lens, along with the impact it has on their interactions and work, and who can effectively connect across cultures and differences including race, class, gender identity, sexual orientation, and physical ability.