AmeriCorps Position, 40 hours/week, 10 1⁄2 month service term
(With the option of extension to 12 months)
Start date: October 1, 2023
Hunger Intervention Program (HIP) is a nonprofit organization based in the Lake City neighborhood with the mission to increase food security for underserved populations in north King County through nutritious meals, educational programs, and advocacy. We are looking for AmeriCorps Members who are passionate about food security and interested in gaining professional experience in meal programs, program coordination, and nonprofit operations. This position will specialize in supporting our Healthy HIP Pack Program.
The Healthy HIP Packs Program, a weekend food backpack program, provides an important food resource for the children in these families when school meals are not available. HIP Packs provide nutritious and kid-friendly foods, enough for six meals and two snacks per child. When choosing foods to include in the pack, HIP creates complete meals and emphasizes whole grains, dairy, high-quality proteins, fresh fruits, and products with no added sugars.
The member in this position will work with the Co-Executive Director and other AmeriCorps Cohort members to coordinate and distribute Healthy HIP Packs to all of our partners schools. The member will also support some nutrition education classes for community partners.
HIP follows all local and federal health and safety regulations with respect to the COVID-19 pandemic. Being a food service provider, an essential service during the pandemic, this is an in-person position that requires interacting with community members. All needed PPEs are provided, and everyone must be fully vaccinated to work.
- Serving meals and interacting with volunteers and participants on a regular basis
- Ordering donated and purchased foods that comply with HIP’s Nutrition Policy
- Ensuring the safe handling of food by complying with local health & safety rules
- Maintaining organized food storage spaces and coordinating food deliveries
- Communicating with program partners and participants to provide the best service
- Gathering feedback from participants through surveys, focus groups, or interviews
- Developing curriculum and leading nutrition education classes and series
- Accurately counting and reporting all activities in a timely manner
- Coordinating and orienting volunteers to support program needs
- Creating a dynamic and welcoming environment for all volunteers and program participants from diverse backgrounds
- Participating in all relevant organizational meetings and professional training
- Occasional special project work and other related duties as assigned
- Willing to grow leadership skills
- Desire to work in an industrial kitchen and being part of a meal service program
- Ability to work independently and as part of a diverse team
- Willingness to learn and comply with food safety and sanitation rules
- Flexible, resourceful, and adaptable to unexpected situations
- Proficient in basic computer skills including Microsoft and Google suites
- A driver’s license and willingness to drive mid to large size work vehicles
• Must be able to lift 40 pounds, reach, bend, kneel repeatedly, and stand for long durations
• Must have or obtain a current Washington State Food Worker Card
• Must pass a Washington State Background check for the purpose of determining suitability to work with children, youth, seniors, or other vulnerable populations
Compensation & Benefits
AmeriCorps members receive a monthly stipend of $3,352.38. Members also receive a monthly housing allowance of $300/month, an ORCA card, healthcare coverage, childcare assistance (if eligible), an education award upon completion of the service term, and monthly training and professional development.
How to Apply
Interested? Send a resume and paragraph of interest to email@example.com with the subject line “Food Security & Nutrition Coordinator”. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
HIP is an equal-opportunity employer. People of color and first-generation college students are highly encouraged to apply.