Lake City-based Hunger Intervention Program (HIP) works to bring food to local families and now seniors through its Healthy HIP Packs Program, meal programs, and by advocating for our hungry neighbors.
This dish was a hit at our Senior Lunch in March! Do you want more recipes? Visit HIP’s blog – HIP Stockpot – and click on the recipe tag to see other popular recipes.
Serves: 8 (2 tacos per serving)
Adapted from Solid Ground’s Cooking Matters Program
- 1 medium carrot, small sweet potato, or small zucchini
- 7 oz low-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 (15 ½ oz ) can low-sodium pinto beans
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1 lb lean ground turkey or chopped chicken breast
- 1 (15 ½ oz) can chopped or crushed tomatoes
- 1 T chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 16 corn or flour tortillas
- 1 cup frozen or fresh corn kernels
- 2 T chopped onion
- 2 T chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 T lime juice
- Rinse, peel, and grate carrot, sweet potato, or zucchini. Squeeze dry with paper towels.
- In a colander, drain and rinse beans.
- Coat a large skillet with non-stick cooking spray. Heat over medium-heat. Add turkey and brown.
- Stir in grated veggies, beans, canned tomatoes, chili powder, garlic powder, oregano, salt, and black pepper. Stir well.
- Reduce heat to medium. Cook until thickened, about 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together corn kernels, onion, cilantro and lime juice. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add 2 T cooked meat mixture to each tortilla and top with cheese and corn salsa