Lake City-based Hunger Intervention Program (HIP) works to bring food to local families and now seniors through its Healthy HIP Packs Program, meal programs, and by advocating for our hungry neighbors.
HIP’s volunteers and staff are back at North Helpline Food Bank each week, showing how to make healthy dishes easy and delicious. Check back here on The HIP Stockpot for new recipes each week.
Makes 4 servings
We usually think of oatmeal as a sweet breakfast dish, eaten plain or topped off with nuts, raisins, fruits, or cinnamon. There is a whole other world with savory oatmeal! In this recipe, we demonstrate how you can add sauteed vegetables to oatmeal for a delicious lunch or dinner. As always, you can adapt the recipe to use any vegetables or spices to your liking. We also happen to hear that a fried egg goes perfectly on top of a bed of savory oatmeal. Yummmm!
3 cups chicken broth
3 Tbsp grated cheese
1 cup quick oats
1/4 cup olive or canola oil
1/2 small onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, cut into small cubes OR other vegetables of your choice
Salt & Pepper to taste
- In a saucepan, bring chicken broth to a boil. Add oats, return to a boil
- and simmer for 5 minutes or until oatmeal is thick.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions and saute until
- translucent, about 5 minutes. Add bell pepper or other vegetables and saute 3-4 minutes.
- Fold in oatmeal and season with salt and pepper. Mix to incorporate ingredients and warm the oatmeal.
- Serve topped with cheese.