Lake City-based Hunger Intervention Program (HIP) works to bring food to local families and now seniors through its Healthy HIP Packs Program, meal programs, and by advocating for our hungry neighbors.
Cheesy Bean Cakes
Makes about 4 servings
Completely made up by our very own Darcy Buendia
4 cups beans (drained, rinsed)
4 oz cheese
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
3-4 tsp additional seasoning (whatever is needed to match the meal)
– cilantro, cumin, paprika – OR –
– rosemary, oregano, chive – OR –
– Dill, thyme, lemon pepper
Oil, as needed to pan fry
- Partially mashed beans.
- Stir cheese, garlic, salt, pepper and additional seasoning into beans.
- Divide mixture into four parts. Form each quarter into a ball and then press into a patty.
- Lightly fry (about 3-5 minutes per side).
- Hold hot.