Oats aren’t just for breakfast anymore… introducing, savory oatmeal! In this recipe, we demonstrate how you can add sautéed vegetables to oatmeal for a delicious lunch or dinner. As always, you can adapt the recipe to use any vegetables or spices to your liking. Just make sure you sauté your onions and mushrooms for plenty of time (until browned)! We also happen to hear that a fried egg goes perfectly on top of a bed of savory oatmeal.
makes 4 servings
2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 bell pepper, chopped, and/or other vegetables (broccoli, mushrooms, etc)
About 2 teaspoons herbs such as dried oregano or parsley (optional)
1 cup oats (rolled or steel cut)
3-5 cups vegetable or chicken stock
3 tablespoons grated cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan or skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and
cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the garlic, pepper, other vegetables, and herbs and cook until tender (if
using mushrooms, cook until mushrooms have browned)
3. Add the oats and cook until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes, stirring the oats to
prevent them from burning.
4. Add in stock, cooking on medium and stirring the oats occasionally until liquid is
absorbed and oats reach desired texture
Note: If using rolled oats, use 3 cups stock and cook for about 5 minutes
If using steel cut oats, use 5 cups stock and cook for 20-30 minutes
5. Turn heat to low and stir in cheese, and season with salt and pepper.
Serve and enjoy!