The great thing about canned salmon is that it’s a cheaper and more convenient alternative to fresh or frozen salmon. But the question remains – how do you turn this healthy yet slightly underwhelming mishmash of fish into a delicious dish? Well, we have an answer! Try this recipe when you need to make a quick meal or snack for yourself or your family.
makes 3 servings
Butter or oil
½ small white onion, chopped
3 slices whole grain bread
About 7.5 ounces canned salmon (choose wild salmon if possible)
2 tablespoons mayonnaise or plain yogurt
½ tablespoon mustard
½ tablespoon lemon juice
Salt and pepper, to taste
½ cup cheese of choice, shredded
- Melt ½ tablespoon of butter or oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5-7 minutes, until softened. Remove onion from skillet.
- Add a little bit of butter or oil to the skillet and start toasting the pieces of bread (flip after a few minutes).
- While bread is toasting, rinse off the can of salmon with water. Open can and drain the salmon to get rid of the liquid in the can.
- Use a fork to mash and mix the salmon with mayonnaise (or yogurt), cooked onion, mustard, and lemon juice. Taste mixture and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Turn heat down to low. Distribute the salmon mixture evenly over the toasted slices of bread. Top with cheese. Cover skillet with a lid and heat until the cheese melts.
- Serve and enjoy!
Note: You can toast the bread in a toaster or in the oven instead. An oven will also work for melting the cheese on top!